Sunday, 2 December 2007

Bolier fittings



I'm sure I'm not alone in this; when I fit chumeys, domes and safety valves, I spend ages making sure they're bedded down properly so there's no unsightly gap between the fittings and the boiler. Well... I took this photo back in September of the NRM ex-LNWR 0-8-0 at Pickering (above) while I was waiting to meet a good friend of mine, who was running a little bit late - not that I could really complain, waiting for him watching trains coming and going!


There is quite a clear gap there! In fact, in reality it was quite bad! Obviously locomotives need the dome cover to be removed from time to time and this obviously has been. It showed signs of being a working locomotive, something many of us, I'm sure, strive to capture in model form. However, would this look right in model form? I'm going to hazard a guess that it could look quite shoddy! It reminds me that what we're doing is creating an impression fo the real thing; capturing the 'feel' of the real thing is, perhaps, the biggest challenge we face as modellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment