Thursday, 23 October 2008
A Multitude of Wagons
The eagle eyed among you may have noticed the complete lack of updates here recently! It's all been very busy recently - not helped by not having a my own transport. Thankfully my car is currently being repaired! The driver who hit finally admitting liability for it all. I've also spent a fair bit of time playing with the 'big trainset' at weekends which has seriously reduced anytime available for sharing my thoughts here.
Because of my lack of transport I haven't been able to assist with Botanic Gardens as much as I wanted too - however, I have used the time when I would have been there to good effect...
This shows just half of the current batch! This includes the original hopper I built, but I have retro-fitted it with the outside axle guards. The hoppers are a key part of the stock for Botanic so we'll need many more after these! But we're beginning to get somewhere with them.
One hopper was still without wheels at this point, but they'd be coming out for painting anyway. Another new item of stock can be seen in the photo too, a typical birdcage brake van from a Slater's kit.
I have carried out a few modifications to the underframe as the moulder solebars wouldn't allow Bill Bedford W-irons to fit. I'm going to replace the running boards as the plastic ones may, I fear, be too fragile for exhibition use.
My birthday a couple of weeks ago brought this very useful book -
Suzi knows exactly how to look after her railway enthusiast! It's an excellent book and highly recommended. It's also beginning to prove an invaluable source of information for wagons for Botanic. It's providing information for this project -
Those in the know will know what it is, but the rest of you will have to wait just a little bit longer!