Friday, 2 January 2009

How to start the New Year



Happy New Year!

I was trying to think of something impressive for my first post of 2009 - it's not really happened though!

Suzi and I saw the New Year in at The Bay Horse in the village which was rather civilised! Following a few hours' sleep and waking Suzi up with a bacon sandwich (and filling downstairs with the smell of said bacon!) we headed up to the NYMR as it's one of the few places which seems to be open on New Year's Day! So we arrived in Grosmont around lunchtime, it only took an hour but after being up late the night before I think we had earned a lie-in!

On the way back we stopped at Levisham; it was the first time I had driven down ton the station. It not a comfortable road for a car with hard sports suspension though! One thing I love about Levisham station is that it still retains the feel of a remote country station - this is something which many preserved stations lack. The signal box is also rather pleasing - a lovely small North Eastern Railway structure which sums up the whole essence of the location.


I like to 'do something' on New Year's Day - not quite sure why but I always think it's nice to do something worthwhile rather than (just!) sleeping off the night before! And it seemed to work last year - 2008 was a pretty eventful year and on the whole went very well. I say 'on the whole' as we did have the odd little disaster like the kitchen ceiling falling down a matter of days before the wedding! But with marriage and the house it was quite a significant year for us. Hopefully 2009 will be an equally good year.


No comments:

Post a Comment