Tuesday, 20 January 2009

The ultimate model of a diesel?



In the new issue of Model Railway Journal there is the first of a two part article which could be one of the most significant articles on Diesel and Electric (D&E) modelling. Chris Pendleton has taken a Bachmann Deltic and transformed it into the best four millimetre scale diesel I have ever seen. It's not the first time I have mentioned this model; I had the pleasure and honour to see it on Brian Hanson's stand at Scaleforum in September.


This is how D&E modelling should be; not people competing to see who's got the newest Bachmann or Hornby release. This article takes the kind of modelling and puts it on a par with the best steam modelling.


The final photo is 'borrowed' from MRJ and to me shows just how good Chris Pendleton's modelling is. He's one modeller I greatly admire and just wish my modelling was half as good as his!


2 comments:

  1. Definitely one of the most important articles MRJ has published to date on diesel/electric modelling.

    Although my focus is more on the steam era (although being a child of the 70s/80s I'm not quite sure why?!) I can certainly appreciate this is quite significant ...although without the security of a definitive set of instructions and parts it looks quite a challenge to say the least!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I'm a child of the eighties too and modelling 1915 even further before our time!

    When I first saw the model I told Brian I would have two sets of bogies for my own use!

    It's always good to see D&E articles in MRJ, seeing D&E presented in a truly finescale way is wonderfully refreshing.

    ReplyDelete