Sunday, 10 January 2010
Operation 24 - Part 2
I can't believe that it's nearly a year since I last posted about this project! Actually, i still can't believe we're in 2010, but there you go! I have got a little further with it, but not much! The main area of progress was completely disassembling the Bachmann base model!
I decided to use Hornby Class 25 cabs for the model partly for consistency across a number of future project and it'll provide a good indication of whether or not it is worth the effort! The body donating these will be the ten year project I mentioned in the original post about this. A tub of ModelStrip means that the body can live on, in part anyway...
This provides a good comparison of the two cabs; if you can live with the Bachmann cab fronts, then great, you can save yourself a lot of messing about! However if you're not so sure, then this could be one way to provide a solution.
This is one of my working drawings from the project which should give an idea of what's going on! It also shows the water/fuel tank arrangements for the chosen loco, D5096.
And this is the first 'draft' of the final effect. Obviously there is a lot of work to do but I think the effect is better than Bachmann's original. Though I will add that the Craftsman roof casting needs a fair bit of fitting and shaping to get the effect right. But even this is outweighed by the result - once all blended it and with rainstrips re-instated the cabs and body should appear 'as one'.
So still a long way to go, but I think this is one conversion which has a lot of potential.