Friday, 8 October 2010

Project 31 - Getting There


Well, it's nearly done!

It has been an immensely satisfying project and I'm very pleased that I decided it was indeed worth trying. Combining parts from all sorts of different sources can be a lot of fun - the result is often very personal as it becomes your own interpretation of the subject.

I think that this is a much more pleasing model than Hornby's out of the box model - though if you're happy with the Hornby model, that's fine! It didn't really require a huge amount of work or effort to complete it either. Detailing wise, with a new fan grille, handrails, glazing and roof grab irons it's easily on a par with the Hornby model, plus I think it looks much better. You could easily incorporate the Hornby lighting units too with you wished (I'm rather off most LED lighting packages though, they don't look right to me on older locos and stock). I will leave it up to the reader to decide if it was worthwhile.

I certainly think it's well within grasp of a competent modeller with care - and it is a nice way to show that if you're not entirely happy with something you don't have to put with it, you can get on and do something about it.

Maybe there should be more of this?



Further Reading

Project 31
Project 31 Fades Away

No comments:

Post a Comment