Wednesday, 27 April 2011

RIP IMechE


Don't worry nothing has happened to The Institution of Mechanical Engineers! However something has happened to my model of 47 817 which was named after the institution - its diecast chassis block has swollen. It has happened to a number of Heljan Class 47 models due to reactions within the mazak chassis block. The block is a very tight fit in the body so any movement can upset things. Sadly in this case it has distored the body so the effects are sadly terminal...


I decided to model 47 817 once I had completed my degree in Mechanical Engineering at Hull, even though I've not persued pure mechanical engineering defecting to The Institution of Civil Engineers once I started on the railway! Though now, of course, I'm not in an engineering role at all! But 47 817 was a nice little token of four years at Hull.

The body is now scrap but the heavily rebuilt and detailed bogies and drive will live on in another Lima conversion. So something will live on, appropriately enough, the Mechanical parts...

No comments:

Post a Comment