Sunday, 15 January 2012

Underpinnings and The True Meaning of Christmas

We've had a busy start to the new year; I only had a couple of days off over Christmas. But at work it's all playing with trains so I don't feel cheated or badly done to! Sadly part of the time when I was off I discovered what one main things about Christmas - getting unwanted gifts from and spending time with people you neither like nor are related to. And why would I want a boot tidy? It's just what you want - the worst bit is trying to pretend that you're delighted with the gift...


So, in the little bits of time I had I did manage a little bit of modelling. Suzi's doing an Open University degree so there are times when she wants time to herself to work and I'm left to my own devices so can get on with modelling! And I managed to move my J21 build forward just a little bit.

The brake gear has now been assembled and fitted - it's not perfect as the kit isn't quite accurate in this respect, but from normal viewing distances I hope most people won't notice. Further builds, and there will be a few, will have modified brake gear. But one of those little jobs which was rather satisfying to complete!

3 comments:

  1. James - the answer to unwanted gifts is to get a reputation for being grumpy about such things and ensuring you provide a list of items you do want (to cater for small, or deep pockets) along with shop details. I do this a few months before to ensure I always get stuff I want rather than useless tat. The J21 is coming along, brake gear is very fiddly, so good job. Pleased to hear Suzi is doing an OU course - my wife is in her 4th year (of 6) of her OU Psychology degree. It gives me plenty of modelling time plus has the added benefit of really lifting her confidence :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see someone having the guts to say the unsayable about Christmas. And good luck to Suzi with that OU degree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments about Suzi's studies! They have been passed on!

    James, there was indeed a list! All little items too; wagons, wagon kits, sprung W-irons complete with links to where one could easily purchase online!

    Did I mention the torch with the power of a million candles?! Can never take thaem seriously now thanks to Rhod Gilbert! It's one of those strange things, why do people buy practical items you've never asked for? If you have a need for one, you'd have already bought one!

    At least I have modelling to keep me sane!

    ReplyDelete