Friday, 8 February 2013

60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower


Yesterday I noticed on the National Railway Museum's Facebook page I noticed that the newly repainted 60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower had finally been moved into the Great Hall for display and was placed next to its sister locomotive. Somehow I managed to persuade Suzi that popping down to see it was a good idea!


60008 looks stunning following the work undertaken by Heritage Painting, quite how long it would last like this service is another matter! Incidentally, the same company also took on the work on 4468 Mallard. This is in the build up to 'Mallard 75' which will see the six remaining LNER A4s coming together and it's unlikely to be repeated once the two north american based locos return to their owners.

Details are now on the Museum's site and can be found here -


I think it'll be an event which will be well worth attending!

3 comments:

  1. If anything could make me stir from my Snowdonian fastness, this would be it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given the general lack of care that the Americans have lavished on 60008 over the years, perhaps we shouldn't be too hopeful that the Heritage paint job will last once it goes back over the water....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually felt that 60010 was in a far worse state than 60008 was. At least eisenhower had had some care since its arrival!

    ReplyDelete