Sunday, 30 June 2013

Wolds Way Lavender

Tucked away, just off the A64 near Malton is Wolds Way Lavender, a lavender and herb farm, right on the northern most edge of the Yorkshire Wolds. Not an obvious subject for me to write about here, but bear with me!


My parents have taken Thomas a number of times, and he loves going! And he loves going because of the 7¼" gauge railway which runs through their grounds. Unusually for this gauge, the railway is used for freight; genuinely so too. It's used to transport lavender to the distillery which is where the lavender is processed in the manufacture of Wolds Way Lavender's various products. Something of which Sir Arthur Heywood would have approved I imagine.


The line is a classic 'out and back', which many early miniature railways seemed to use - I'm not sure just how long the line is though. The low speed does, I think, make it feel much longer and far more of a journey than really is! Perfect for small people!


Thomas (and Bob!) watches the line's 'diesel' (it's actually petrol) being turned  ready for its next journey.

The line also has a steam loco of a distinctly Bagnall appearance but sadly it wasn't use when we visited and I'm not sure just when it is used. It would be nice to see it working!


Round the back of the shed was another steam loco taking shape -


The seems to be well constructed but welding rails to steel strips screwed to the sleepers does seem an odd thing to someone with 'big railway' construction behind them yet seems quite common on railways of this size. It'll certainly take a long time for the rails to wear! The yellow sleeper, however, is rather reminiscent of what we do on the 'big railway'!


The rather nice moulded chairs in the station area sit much better with me, and look quite pleasing and 'railway-like' too. Not sure on welded fishplates but the railway does seem to work very well!


A few pictures taken around the site, hopefuly showing the rather nice setting of the railway and the farm. It reminded me of how I imagined parts of 'Whispering Glades' in Evelyn Waugh's The Loved One with its wide open spaces... Here a few other views of the railway.



Wolds Way Lavender is well worth a visit for the railway and is very family friendly with all the other activities and facilities it offers. Or you can use it as an excuse to see the railway!

Further Reading

Wolds Way Lavender

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting James, I had no idea this place existed (Hull resident). I think I may mention this place as a potential day out next time my sister visits (let her drive) - will tell her it's a Garden centre, and then be pretend to be utterly suprised when it so happens there is a miniature railway there...

    PS any clue as to what is going on on the Hull Docks branch (I see you've had some experience on it) - the Anlaby road bridge has been painted a respectable green (Hull Brewery advert gone if you remember it), but the mystery is what they are doing to the Springbank bridge - currently it's full of holes like Swiss cheese (dozens of ~6" circles in the brickwork). I'll see if I can get a photo if you can't go there. I heard it was being replaced in August, but have no idea what they are up to now - some sort of prelimary work I suspect - but what exactly I don't know.

    ReplyDelete