Monday, 3 February 2014

More Brake Vans


West Halton will need a couple of brake vans - I've posted about them previously here and here. I think I just like brake vans - much like signal boxes, there's something intriguing about what lies within! I found a lovely photo of a brake van at Frodingham depot on 8th June 1992, taken by John Dedman, click here to see it.

The date is absolutely perfect for my chosen time frame for West Halton so this is a must I think!


The basis will be a further Airfix brake van and a Dave Bradwell underframe kit. The underframe is exquisite! The results so far are very encouraging and despite the small size of components, once assembled they are stong and clearly a good deal of thought has gone into the design of the kit so it's not only very good in appearance but will last when actually used on a layout. And it's sprung too!


AT some point I'll write up what I've done with the brake van bodies in detail but if you buy the Dave Bradwell underframe, there's a section which covers modifications to the Airfix kit, which is well worth following. The only thing I haven't done is to mover the duckets upwards. I haven't done this on the previous one, so I wanted consistency, even if it's not strictly correct!

The brake van I'm modelling has had its end planking removed and replaced with, presumably, plywood sheeting. To replicate this I've used 5 thou brass sheet. Evergreen do 5 thou plastic but it's very flimsy so plastic isn't really suitable here if, like me, you've removed the planking to give the right appearance inside. The etched cabin ends are part of the Bradwell underframe kit, which do nicely enhance the kit!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! That must have taken a lot of time and effort. Precise movements for minute pieces such as this have to be done, and that's not easy. However, getting quality materials is also the other factor that determines if a project could be done. Faulty materials would have broken down, and all of your efforts would have been for naught. For this project, I don't see any defects, so that means it's mission accomplished for you!

    Brandi Bradley @ Rotax Metals

    ReplyDelete